Wednesday, October 19, 2011

First Quarter Reflection

Yay! It's almost the end of the quarter. Boo! That means I have to do one of these silly reflections.

Alright this first quarter has been pretty good for me. I'm lucky that I'm one of the few people who actually took an Intro to Chemistry class before actually taking Chemistry. I've noticed that a lot of the things we've been talking about now are things that I do remember learning about in that intro class.

So! I like to think that I'm very knowledgeable about the structure of an atom. I have had protons, neutrons, and electrons drilled into my brain since 7th grade. That is something I am pretty good at.

However, I'm not so great when you try to tell me that light is a wave and a particle at the same time. I can understand the general idea, and I understand the concepts separately, but when you crush them together I get a bit confused. I'm not exactly sure when light is considered a particle, and when exactly we want to talk about it as a wave. So yeah, it's kind of a confusing concept. However, I am comforted that scientists on the videos I've seen in class agree that it is a difficult concept. So, it's not that I don't understand that light can be a particle and a wave, it's just confusing that it gets to be both.

So I think I'm pretty set up for next quarter. I just took a test on the modern models on an atom and I passed with flying colors. All I really need to do at this point is let light do it's own thing, and understand that it's special and gets to be a particle and a wave.

No comments:

Post a Comment